to a friend (part 2)


in hillgrove secondary, everyone knew everyone.
such a small community with many unique characters calling that their second home.
so its not surprising for me to know that the news travelled fast.
and as i read about how their ex girlfriends felt knowing the news.
it must be painful. so them crying would be normal. someone they love. wow. i cant handle that feeling.
and dont ask me why i didnt attend the funeral, cos i partially did. have a look.


many attended their funerals, i watched from my window.
the crowd were there, ex-hilly and all. from where i stood, i recognised many familiar faces.
many witnessed their burial, them having their graves side by side to each other.
true best friends indeed.


many have asked me whether i knew how it happened.
i feel today's paper has the answer.
for me, syaffiq's death definitely came as a shock, but afiq's death had a greater impact on me.


cos, first, i didnt expect him to be there at the site.
second, afiq lived across my block.
and thirdly...

it was like any other sunday, i'll be in my army uniform and lugging my heavy green fieldpack on my back. walking to the interchange. i'll always end up seeing afiq in his civil defence uniform with his bagpack on his back. both of us never looked too please to be booking in that evening..or any other evening.

but because of the fact that over time, we didnt meet much before NS, we became just one of those 'hi-bye' friends.

the same as in the case of every book-ins.
i'll see him. raise eyebrow, or smile, wave or say hi..
and we'll walk to the bus interchange. a certain distance between us.

no, im not saying that i'd never talked to him before, i did.
that was when i first saw him in that outfit.
but you couldnt expect me to open the same topic every week right?
like...

1st week,
"Hey, How's NS?" what i would say
"Ok la" what he might reply

2nd week,
"Doin' good in NS?"
"Can la"

4th week,
"I didnt see you last week"
"confinement la"

it could have been that way.
but now that i think of it, it would have been better that way...

i mean, even if we bump into each other in our neighbourhood service 945,
i'd get intimidated by his new size. so we'd just stay a distance and nod our heads as a form of saying "hello there neighbour"
i mean, during our rugby days, i remembered him as this skinny small dude.
lately, he was this muscular, bulky guy. like wow.
even i was envious of his sculpted bod.


the late and great syaffiq salleh and afiqhizami ghazali

here's my final respect to the lovely people i know.
indeed, at just 20, you guys left a tad too soon.
goodbye my neighbour.

i love you guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the illegal mohawk and field camp companion

i have oh so many things to complain